One of the most common skin diseases among teenagers and the young is that of acne. While there are a number of other skin diseases to worry about as well, acne is among the most prevalent skin disease today. Studies reveal that more than 60 percent of women worldwide suffer from blackheads, blemishes, spots and acne making it one of the most common skin diseases in the world. The study also states that around 41-54 percent of adult women will suffer from some kind of acne after the age of 30.
In order to treat the disease one first needs to understand its causes and why women experience 4 times more acne than men.
- The first cause of adult acne is hormone fluctuations especially during pregnancy or periods which can create havoc in the body.
- Another cause of acne is the use of contraceptive pills which can make acne spots reoccur even if you have taken medications to prevent it.
- Stress is a common factor for adult acne and people who lead a very stressful and hectic life often experience acne from time to time.
- Over-cleansing and exfoliating the skin along with wearing foundations for long create an imbalance in the skin and give rise to breakouts.
Every acne problem starts with a clogged or dirty pore and this is why preventing this unpleasant skin issue can help solve lot of problems instead of trying to treat it once you already have it.
So, what can you do to stop acne?
- Avoid comedogenic products as these increase the chances of having a breakout especially on the face. Always use cosmetics and skincare which are labeled non-comedogenic.
- Own healthy beauty habits by avoiding too makeup that is very heavy and always make sure to wash off any makeup before hitting your bed every night. Use mild cleansing products which help prevent clogged pores every day.
- Always keep products which contain salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide in your skincare bag as such products help to reduce any kind of red spot or inflammation which may later give rise to acne.
- Avoid smoking and sun bathing as far as possible as these can lead to clogged pores. You need to avoid sun-exposure completely or this might increase dark marks on the acne spots.
- Reduce refined carbohydrates and dairy products in your diet. Instead consume supplements of zinc regularly.
- Treat the root cause of blemishes and clogged pores instead of trying to extract them.
Always have a rational approach to skincare problems. Use products which are mild and do their job without overloading the pores. If you relax your skin pores, cleanse them daily and avoid harmful skin products you are sure to get healthy and acne-free skin in no time. Try the gentle but effective Merlot cleansing kit to use in your acne skin care routine.